Here is a sample of some helpful books Dr. Stringer recommends to her clients:
Books for depression:
- Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think By Dennis Greenberger, Ph.D. and Christine Padesky, Ph.D.
- Your Depression Map: Find the Source of Your Depression and Chart Your Own Recovery By Randy Paterson, Ph.D.
- The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (Book & CD) By Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal, and Jon Kabat-Zinn
Books for anxiety:
- The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook, 6th Edition By Martha Davis, Ph.D., MSW, and Matthew McKay, Ph.D.
- The Mindfulness Workbook for OCD: A Guide to Overcoming Obsessions and Compulsions Using Mindfulness and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy By Jon Hershfield and Tom Corboy
Books for Couples:
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country’s Foremost Relationship Expert By John M. Gottman, Ph.D. and Nan Silver
- Relate is an organization based in the United Kingdom that is expert in helping relationships. Visit their website to review the many useful books available online that deal with the following kinds of issues:
- How to have a successful relationship
- Parenting and families
- Having a baby
- Separation and divorce
- Surviving an affair
- Older people in relationships
- Being single
Books for Assertiveness:
- The Assertiveness Workbook: How to Express Your Ideas and Stand Up for Yourself at Work and in Relationships By Randy Paterson, Ph.D.