Dr. Stringer is committed to helping couples in distress. In couples therapy, she works collaboratively with the partners to repair troubled relationships.
Couples therapy can help with the following:
- Managing conflict more effectively and keeping discussions calm
- Resolving perpetual conflicts that keep couples gridlocked
- Strengthening and maintaining friendship. This enhances the couple’s experience of the relationship and serves to protect the relationship in time of stress
- Building and nurturing closeness, affection, and respect
- Creating a deeper understanding of each other’s worlds
Some couples already have decided to separate before coming to therapy. In these cases, therapy can help the couple deal with issues directly related to ending a long term relationship including:
- Creating and maintaining an amicable separation
- Parenting concerns
- Handling grief and loss
- Adjusting to this significant life transition
When working with couples, Dr. Stringer uses a combination of Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Gottman Method strategies and techniques. For more information on these therapeutic approaches please refer to the Therapeutic Techniques page.